Dynamic svg via application/java-archive

Dynamic svg via application/java-archive

Roger I Martin PhD
By implementing
http://xml.apache.org/batik/javadoc/org/apache/batik/script/ScriptHandler.html I get dynamic capability working for a stand alone application that uses Batik to display svg.  What should I expect from browsers?  Does the Adobe SVGView 3 support the binding?  Others?  What about other browsers?  Any Batik based browser plugins being developed?

The ScriptHandler has a different method '  void run(Document doc, Window win)'than the SVG1.1 spec
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java.html shows "void initializeEventListeners(SVGDocument doc)".  Any idea what will be standard?

Re: Dynamic svg via application/java-archive

thomas.deweese
Hi Roger,

Roger I Martin PhD wrote:
>   By implementing
> http://xml.apache.org/batik/javadoc/org/apache/batik/script/ScriptHandler.html
> I get dynamic capability working for a stand alone application that uses
> Batik to display svg.  What should I expect from browsers?

    Currently nothing...

> Does the Adobe SVGView 3 support the binding?  Others?

    None that I'm aware of.

> What about other browsers?  Any Batik based browser plugins
> being developed?

    I don't know of any, it is currently possible to embed Batik
as an Applet.  I suspect that the first place you will see this
interface implemented will actually be 'tiny' devices because
they often already have Java installed and they may not want
to add a JavaScript engine.

> The ScriptHandler has a different method
>  the SVG1.1 spec
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java.html shows "void
> initializeEventListeners(SVGDocument doc)".  Any idea what will be standard?

    Well if that is in 1.1 it is already the standard.  The problem is
that without access to the Window object you are severely limited in
what you can do.  Additionally there is no interface to synchronize
access to the DOM so it is hard to do anything with threads (important
for network for example).